Gastric Sleeve vs. Lap Band Surgery?
Interested in the Lap Band? Curious about the gastric sleeve? The decision to choose to undergo weight loss surgery should be made with great care and is an individual choice that needs to be made with your physician. There have been many debates about which surgery is best, the bottom line is it all depends and there is no perfect surgery to treat obesity. The purpose of this page is to help you understand some of the difference between the lap band and gastric sleeve.
Lap Band Pro’s
- No stapling or cutting of stomach muscles.
- Stomach patch size restriction can be adjusted up or down.
- The gastric band can be removed.
- Mostly done as an outpatient surgery, which means that patients can go home within 24 hours of surgery.
Recently. the gastric band surgery has been falling out of favor for bariatric trained surgeons. Here are some of the reasons why..
Lap Band Con’s
- Higher re-operation and complication rate over time.
- Frequent visits for band adjustment.
- The resolution of medical issues depends on the amount of weight lost.
- Increased risks with subsequent bariatric surgeries.
- On average slower and less weight loss.
- The Lap Band requires adjustments in your surgeons office that are usually not usually covered by insurance
- The Lap Band can slip and cut off the blood supply to the stomach
- Long term data on the Lap Band does not show sustained and permanent weight loss in the majority of patients
- Some foods are difficult to eat with the band such as pasta and breads
Gastric Sleeve Pro’s
- No intestinal bypass, avoiding long-term complications related to it
- No foreign body or requirement for frequent adjustments
- Higher proven weight loss
- Greater reduction of medical comorbidities
- No need for expensive adjustments
- No problems with band or tubing
Sleeve Gastrectomy Con’s
- Procedure is not reversible.
- Not suitable for patients with very severe reflux or Barrett’s esophagus.
The decision to choose any surgery should be discussed with your doctor and surgeon experienced in all of the procedures. To schedule a consultation with our office for more information please contact us.